Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes An Anthology Review

Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
Two and Twenty Dark Tales:
Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
An Anthology

Usually I like to write a synopsis for every story within an anthology, but in this case the novel is compiled of twenty short stories so my lazy bone kicked in and I figured I would just review the entirety. On the bright side however not reviewing each separate story means no spoiler alerts because you will still have to read the book to find out exactly what I mean.

Some of these stories are a hit while others are a miss, but when you have twenty stories and twenty authors, let’s face it that is to be expected. I want to start with my favorite story which was the re-telling of Wee Willie Winkie by Leigh Fallon, it is one of the shorter stories but by far the creepiest in the bunch. Most of the stories have a great aspect to them and they are certainly entertaining, some however where completely off the mark when it came to the Nursery Rhyme they were supposed to be re-telling not just incorporating them into their own story. The biggest problem I had with this novel was that I personally didn’t find it age appropriate, it is supposed to be a young adult novel but some of the stories are far too graphic. Now how I determine this is based on my family, I am very close to my sixteen year old sister, my thirteen year old niece, and my ten year old niece, so when reading a young adult novel I always think to myself one or all of them will love this novel or “There is no way in Hell I would let them read this!” In this case it was the latter, for instance I don’t find references to sexual abuse and rape to be appropriate for a young adult novel. I am twenty-something and I myself have a hard time swallowing anything that even alludes to such horrible acts. There are thankfully only two who add this into their stories so if you can skip those this would be a fantastic novel, otherwise reader discretion is advised.  

For More Reviews be sure to visit my blogs at:


No comments:

Post a Comment